Transportation may be considered in situations where parents have shared custody as court ordered. The Consortium cannot guarantee that the route configuration will remain the same which would allow both addresses to be serviced.
There are a set of rules for JK – Grade 6 and then more flexibility for Grades 7-12.
THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS WOULD APPLY TO ALL GRADES:
- The Consortium reserves the right to withdraw services if, in its sole discretion, the safety of the student is compromised unduly.
- Parents/guardians and the student accept all responsibility for the management of the alternating schedule, boarding the correct bus, and disembarking at the correct stop location.
- The custodial parents must choose a primary address and secondary address for service, and the addresses are subject to the following conditions:
- Both addresses must be eligible for transportation (cross attendance areas will not be permitted as consistent with the policy)
- Both addresses must be the place of residence of the custodial parents or their appointed caregivers.
- There must be room on the bus(es) servicing the secondary address
- No route deviations or extensions will be granted.
- Where the parents cannot agree on the primary and/or secondary addresses or the schedule, the parent with the greater share custody (as per court documents) will make the determinations.
- If the situation involves a 50/50 joint custody situation, and the parents cannot agree on either of the primary and/or secondary addresses or the schedule, transportation will not be provided by the Consortium.
- The drop off location can be based on either the primary or secondary address, but must be at the same location every day of the school year.
- The pick-up location can be based on either the primary or secondary address, (as long as there is room on the buses). Parents/guardians are responsible for managing safety and communication and must ensure school administration has an accurate and up to date schedule.
- On a daily basis, the student can utilize the pick-up location based on either the primary or secondary address providing there is room to assign a student to two buses.
- On a daily basis, the student can utilize the drop off location based on either the primary or secondary address providing there is room to assign a student to two buses.
- The student is not required to inform the Consortium of his or her daily schedule regarding pick-up and drop off locations and the Consortium or bus operator/driver does not assume any responsibility in managing or tracking the student’s daily schedule.
- For special education students or exceptional circumstances where a visible parent is required to accompany and meet the student at the bus stop and/or if the student travels with an Education Assistant, the policy for JK-Gr.6 will apply due to the specialized transportation plan involved.